Data / Ora
10:00 - 17:00
ENGLISH ONLINE WORKSHOP
“SCHEMA THERAPY FOR EATING DISORDERS”
Dr. Susan Simpson
Workshop Date: 28th October, 2022
Time (CEST): 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Workshop recognized by ISST
(International Society of Schema Therapy)
At the end, ISST official certification will be issued
ORGANIZATION OF THE WORKSHOP:
The workshop will be held in a webinar format via the ZOOM platform Time (CEST): 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Upon confirmation of registration you will receive all indications and directions for attending.
About the presenter:
Dr Susan Simpson is a Clinical Psychologist who works with patients with severe and complex eating disorders in an inpatient eating disorders unit in Scotland. Susan has 20 years of experience using Schema Therapy with complex eating disorders. She is co author/editor for the forthcoming clinician’s guide “Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders”, which was published by Routledge in 2019. She has published several book chapters and journal articles on schema therapy, with a particular focus on the eating disorder population. She is currently part of a research group investigating the effectiveness of group schema therapy for eating disorders. In addition, she has provided training and workshops at national and international eating disorders conferences across Europe and Australia. A full list of her publications can be found at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Susan_Simpson
PRESENTATION OF THE WORKSHOP
Are you looking for new powerful methods to work with eating disorders? Do you want to improve your skills in the use of chair work to challenge self-critical and self-defeating patterns of thinking and behaviour? Are you seeking new skills and methods for working with strong coping and inner-critic modes? Do you find high levels of complexity and comorbidity interfere with treatment outcomes for eating disorders? Recent evidence (including one RCT) indicates that Schema Therapy is effective for bulimic disorders, & holds promise for a wide range of eating disorders. It also has high quality evidence for several typical comorbid conditions.
The workshop will offer you methods to cope with these challenging situations and will include:
• Methods to formulate complex eating disorder thoughts, behaviours, urges, & comorbid disorders using schema ‘modes’
• Methods in using imagery & chair-work to set limits on self-defeating ’inner critic’ modes
• Ways to use imagery & chair-work to bypass strong coping modes
• Ways of working with those who are reluctant to participate in experiential work & to connect with emotions.
10 am – 11.30 am Introduction
- Gaps in Eating Disorder evidence base
- Comorbidity and complexity in Eating Disorders
- Aetiology & pathways to complex EDs
- Rationale for Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders
- Preliminary evidence of Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders
- Introducing the new eating disorder sub-modes
11.30 am – 11.45 am Coffee and tea break
11.45 am – 1.00 pm
- Quick review of the basics of schema mode model as applied to eating disorders (& OCD/comorbidity) – with case examples
– Group Exercises:
– 1/ spot the modes (fishbowl)
– 2/ Spotting and drawing your Overcontroller mode (pairs)
– 3/ Developing a mode map for conceptualizing Eating Disorders
1.00 pm – 2.00 pm Lunchbreak
2.00 pm – 3.30 pm
- Schema assessment & education
- Change work
- Goals for Schema Mode work
- Group Exercises: Imagery Rescripting to address childhood unmet needs (directly or indirectly linked to eating disorder)
3.30 pm – 3.45 pm Break
3.45 pm – 5.00 pm
- Chairwork with with Overcontroller mode (or other Eating Disorder Coping Modes)
- Questions & opportunity to discuss cases (case supervision)
Literature for the workshop
* Simpson, S. & Smith, E. (2019). Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders. Routledge.
* Simpson, S. Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders: A case study illustration of the mode approach. (2012) In M. van Vreeswijk, J. Broersen & M. Nadort (Eds.) (2012). The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Schema Therapy: Theory, Research and Practice, Part III Chapter 1. (pp. 145-171). Wiley:Chichester, UK.
* Calvert, F., Smith, E., Brockman, R., & Simpson, S. (2018). Group schema therapy for eating disorders: study protocol. Journal of Eating Disorders 6, 1-7.
* Simpson et al. (2018) Factorial Structure and Preliminary Validation of the Schema Mode Inventory for Eating Disorders (SMI-ED).Front. Psychol. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00600
€ 146.40 VAT included
To register it is necessary fill in the ONLINE FORM below and pay simultaneously the participation fee.
The payment shall be made by bank transfer to the account registered to:
ITALIAN ACADEMY OF SCHEMA THERAPY srl
BIC CODE/SWIFT: BCITITMM
BANCA INTESA SAN PAOLO – Via Parigi 13/15, 00185 Roma
Bank account number 100000016184
Reason “Simpson 2022”
NO REPAYMENT OF THE PARTICIPATION FEE IN CASE OF WAIVER
THE WORKSHOP WILL BE ACTIVATED WHEN THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS IS REACHED